Tuesday 28 April 2015

Recent Experience: My Second Breakdown

As the title suggests, things didn’t really get better and I confess I had a breakdown on a similar scale to when the panic-attacks first started happening in 2010. I've been trying to control the sickness but lost the balance, so as I said in the last post I phoned the out of hours number to see a doctor. The doctor gave me some stronger anti-sickness tablets and sent me on my way.
   I couldn’t keep them down and was starting to have panic-attacks as well. I think in hindsight I had been having a lot of small panic-attacks and not even realised; the stress may be what was causing me to be so sick. With the panic-attacks intensifying, and the sickness also, I decided to go to hospital as having had no food or fluids I was feeling very bad.
   They saw me pretty quickly and because of my high pulse rate and constant vomiting they took blood for testing. I think this makes me very ill, as I still think some of my problems are to do with blood distribution. The bloods, however, didn’t show anything wrong (which I guess answers the concern about full blood count from a previous test). I’m starting to think that perhaps because of the fatigue and ibs that my stomach is under constant stress and in turn the stress takes blood away from the stomach. That’s my current theory to try and make sense of the physical side of it all. There’s obviously the psychological factors too, and after incoherently talking to the doctor (I was having mild panic-attacks on and off), they decided that this was more of a psychological problem and couldn’t do anything for me accept let me calm down and monitor me. They gave me even stronger medication and told me to rest and try to eat and get my energy levels back up.
   I was so exhausted by the whole situation that I decided to talk to a mental health practitioner as I was feeling very depressed and really wanted the suffering to end. It all just became too much to cope with. I was losing hope and couldn’t see a way for things to get better.
   The mental health practitioner was kind and suggested a lot of external help for once I was discharged from the hospital, as they said there was nothing more they could do. With the panic-attacks seemingly under control and the medication I was discharged and picked up by my mum. I must admit I left feeling a bit lost about the future.
   And I think this is a root to what is going on. There has been a lot of excess stress from not knowing how to proceed with my future and this might have been the psychological weight that tipped the balance of my control over all of my stresses. With the mess of trying to move to Scotland and it not working out, I think I lost myself in fears and also worrying about what I was supposed to do now. I guess it all broke me. I wish I could be a stronger person like so many people I know, but I’m just not as resilient. I’m trying to be, or rather, I’m trying to find my own way to be resilient and not let things overwhelm me.
   In the days that followed, after I left the hospital, things didn’t really get much better. I was in a constant state of anxiety and unable to sleep, which only made it worse. I was able to eat a little as the anti-sickness medication I had been given (Ondansetron) was helpful, but I still felt hopeless. A nightmarish couple of days passed and I managed to get an appointment with the local doctor. They were nice and understanding about it all and gave some anti-depressants and referred me to the local mental health team.
   Not much changed though and I couldn’t get a hold on the attacks and was only sleeping an hour or two then waking up wide awake. It was like waking in the middle of a panic-attack and I just needed to sleep. So I went to see the doctor again and it was a different doctor and they gave me Sertraline, which is used for anxiety, and a few sleeping tablets.
   This has helped as I’ve been able to sleep more than I had. In turn, I do feel a bit better and the panic-attacks and adrenaline I feel has subsided enough at the moment. I can feel them creeping back in and then pass from time to time, but it’s only been two days. I do feel spaced out a lot of the time but I’ll do anything to switch off my brain right now. All I want to do is be able to relax and not have the worst number, and intensity, of panic-attacks I’ve had since they first began.   

I’ve been thinking about this blog over the past week with how excruciating it has all been and I realised over the years I’ve forgotten just how bad the panic-attacks can get when completely untamed. They were so intense. I felt my skin crawling and was hitting myself with the feeling of the mental anguish coming from the attack. It all sounds very dramatic and to someone who hasn’t experienced one they will think it a bit over the top, but it’s what happens, and what happens to me.

The question is, what now? Well, that can be a trigger so I’m trying to be very careful how much I think about it. I have a couple of support courses I might be able to go on to help discuss it all and find support. I’m not sure if I’ll be well enough for them, but if I am I’ll go. I’ll also try to keep posting other discussion points on topics I had intended to do before all of this. However, day to day life is going to be a massive challenge as the balance between resting and doing things is proving very difficult. If I rest too much my thoughts can get very intense and make me sick or have attacks, but then if I try to distract myself and do too much then the fatigue and sickness gets worse. Then in turn the opposite gets worse and it spirals out of control. It’s a very intense thing to balance right now, but I’m trying to learn and grow with it. One of the most important things is learning to switch off my desire to ‘achieve’ and ‘accomplish,’ because right now the achievement has to be that I’m healing and if this means doing very little then I have to learn to accept this is a positive thing.

Fun: I’ve been watching some of Bill Bailey’s comedy to cheer me up.

Educational: Some information about panic disorders.

No comments:

Post a Comment