Friday 1 May 2015

Recent Experience: Smiling

The acceptance of my situation is very up and down at the moment. One moment I’m all like, okay, I can do this, then the next I’m in a fit of depression wishing I didn’t exist. Every time I do try and fight against the mental and physical health problems I find one of them flaring up and I become over powered. It hasn’t helped that I’m not sleeping or eating, and constantly being sick (Since writing this I've been able to eat a bit better which I'm happy about). I’m trying to get these on track but there’s a lot of factors mixed up together and I’m trying to figure out what is causing what (that’s bad English but you get my meaning I’m sure).
   It’s very hard to know if it’s the physical health, or mental health, or medication that's doing certain things to me. My current objective is to figure this out. I do think I’m starting to get some insight into why I’m so messed up and a lot of it I confess is psychological, at least when it comes to anxieties and panic-attacks, but I’ll probably talk more about that in a following post. That said, I still have a suspicion there are some physical things not accounted for properly, but I guess mental health is a lot to do with chemicals and therefore, physiological. All of that aside, today’s post is about a peculiar experience I had a couple of days ago.
   I was feeling very fatigued and despairing, but decided to literally force a massive smile on my face for a long time. It sounds very silly, but I thought that maybe forcing a positive aura or persona might help in some way. After all, I’ve lost the balance I tried so hard to maintain over the years and it’s tipped negatively, so why not tip it back with the opposing force.
   I’ll confess I’m struggling to know what’s right, whether balance and control is best, or to try and fight with positivity. As I’m about to show, I still think balance and control is best, but I’m starting to see there is a lot more room for expression of all emotions than I’ve sometimes believed.
   So I began my smiling test and it was very challenging. Maintaining a smile for what ended up being hours was hard work. During this time I did have some dramatic changes. For one I did feel a lot happier. It grew and grew and by the time I settled to sleep for the night I was in a strange but beautifully tranquil state. I also noticed that a lot of the tension and horrible stomach feelings had vanished. I was trying not to get ahead of myself and think that suddenly I had found a way to fix myself but it certainly felt like it. I fell asleep in this state, but within an hour I was awake again, wide awake, and unable to get back to sleep without medication to help me.
   On waking up the following morning I felt really depressed and sick. I was so tired and scatter brained that the hope I had from the night before was snuffed out. I tried to get it back but was too exhausted. However, from my little experiment I now value the expression of emotion a little more and the impact it can have on the mental health side of things. As I said, I still think it needs to be balanced but I’m going to try and do a bit better at channelling all my emotions.
   With this experience I’m just starting to wonder more and more if there has been underlying stress and tension which I feel I have contained, but are in fact building up in my subconscious. I’m not sure though, as I think there are a number of contributing factors here: these include being under a lot of anxiety and stress because of doing more than I should (relatively speaking), because the move to Scotland failed and I don’t know what to do now, because of money worries and the feelings of lack of independence and purpose, and because of the ongoing health struggles.
   It’s all just tipped the balance I had and I’m struggling to see how to get it back, or even make something of myself with my life. And, yes, I have to learn to chill out, relax and not expect too much from myself, but it’s easier said than done. It's important to note here that I'm expressing how I've been feeling openly and honestly and do not mean to be negative. I would prefer to always say happy things, but this blog is about fighting for the light while living with the dark. The smiling test was my way to try and fight, and in a way it worked, as I've learned from it.  
   So, to go back for a second, I’m currently unsure how to approach the emotional side of things, and the physical, and the mental. It’s so complex that just thinking about it is probably causing more stress on my system. I do think I’m getting some understanding of my current inability to cope though. It’s partly because I feel so hopeless and lost. I would love to take up a new hobbie, or get a job would be preferable, but I'm struggling to think of one, and anything I do think of will impact my health. I’m also starting to think on a subconscious level that I’m sabotaging myself because I feel trying to cope is too hard, which is what actually makes it too hard (There are some curiously powerful links between self-belief, wants, acceptance, failures, expectations and many other things). Today has a reasonably good day, but finding the motivation to do anything is proving extremely hard. And then at times I know I should be doing nothing and resting so I can heal, and this also is extremely hard.

What’s pushing me forward the most right now is my family. I want to get better for their sake so I’m not such a burden; I have a few mantras’ I’m using which have helped today. I’ll try to keep using them each day and heal as best I can, but I know I have to want to heal and I think that’s what the smiling test has shown me. It showed me that through the positive I can feel better. I just have to do it in a less extreme way than I did a couple of days ago. And with all that said, maybe today I’m feeling better because the medication (Sertraline) is balancing things out, who knows.
   Hindsight Note: it’s been three days since this experience and it’s most certainly the medication that made me have the tranquil state. The smiling would have contributed and that positivity did help my stomach and eating, and still is, but having experienced the same feeling on and off I now know it has to be the medication.
   Speaking of the medication, I guess it has helped me with the panic-attacks. They were out of control, but with all the varying side effects of the medication I’m hoping some balance occurs soon. Sure I like the tranquil feeling when it washes over me, but it’s false and not worth the manic depressive states. They say it can take weeks for the Sertraline to get into the system properly and when it does it will hopefully give me a sense of consistent control. I've just realised I'm not even sure I know what it is the medication is actually meant to do. I always just say I hope it will help. I guess it's meant to help my mental state, which I'm assuming is balance and stopping the anxiety. If it does that then I'll be delighted! I just don't want the panic-attacks anymore.
   I’ll do a brief post about the medication next time and talk about how I feel. And just for the fun of it I'll also give a list of the effects it has seemed to have had on me so far. Then at some point I will continue other discussion points, but who knows when that will actually happen :).

Education: I short presentation I found that encourages smiling :)

Fun: Don’t ask why I remembered this, but this was one of my favourite things to watch back in the day, yes I was a cool thirteen year old. This is a random one I’ve picked.

No comments:

Post a Comment